Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Take a Practice Golf Swing

Because you are rapidly hitting the ball from one marker to the next, you are able to strike the ball while the feel of the last contact is still fresh in your mind. This gives you an advantage over practicing putting the ball into the cup, walking over, picking it up, putting it back down and setting up on the ball again.

This sentiment is reflected in Lights-out Putting by Todd Sones. He explains that each element of the putting stroke is only as good as the elements that came before it. Unless your setup is correct, you will put in motion an unending chain of mistakes.

I get a feel for the speed of my back swing, and forward swing when I take my 1 or 2 practice swings before addressing my ball and hitting it. Many people just take a practice swing because they see professional golfers do it on TV, and they do not get any real value out of it. For me, I use my practice swings to think about tempo. I don't want to swing too hard and come out of shoes, but I have to swing hard enough to make the ball go the distance I want it to.

Maybe I only have 100 yards to the green, and I want to hit a knockdown wedge at 75%. If that is the case, my practice swings will be consistent with that thought. Your normal full swing should only be about 80-90% of what you are capable of producing.

This way you have a much better chance of controlling your swing. Very few amateurs or even pros for that matter can swing as hard as they are capable of swinging, and still maintain consistent control over their shots.

So how do you go about troubleshooting your golf game? Go back to your golf reference books to get a refresher course on the correct golf fundamentals. Check what improvements you can make in every aspect of your game, from your grip, to how you position your body at address, to how you body moves as you swing, and etc.

Article Resource: www.golfcooper.com

No comments:

Post a Comment